Name: Waleed Sawan
Born: December 25, 2001
Birthplace: Upon Tyne Newcastle, England
Current Residence: London, Ontario, Canada
Primary Education: London, Ontario, Canada & Nablus, Palestine
High School Education: London, Ontario, Canada
Interests: Soccer, Volunteerism, Science, Debating, Running and Instrumental Music.
- I was born on December 25, 2001 in Upon Tyne Newcastle, England
- At the age of 1 I moved to Nablus, Palestine
- At the age of 6 I moved to London, Ontario, Canada to start the next 9 years of my life
- Living in London gave me many opportunities to do extracurriculars. I was particularly interested in Soccer, Swimming, and playing chess due to the exercise and the mindset that these activities put me through.
- At the age of 12 I visited Palestine for the second time since I left when I was 6. I visited many commercial farms and slowly got inspired for a project which would later be my Grade 8 science fair project.
- The next year I participated in my first science fair titled Intelligent Intersection. The Intelligent Intersection system would continuously broadcast the time remaining before the traffic light state changes to approaching vehicles.
- My grade Seven project got me a trip to the 2014 Canada Wide Science Fair in Windsor, Ontario where I was awarded the silver medallion.
- I eventually came back to the subject of smart farming and continued with that for my Grade 8 science fair entry.
2015 Project Description:
“Every Drop Counts – An Intelligent Farming System (EDC) is a cost effective system that allows farmers to better monitor and understand their farms and crop’s growing conditions. Utilizing such advanced, low-cost systems will help farmers meet the ever growing demand on the food supply chain.”
- I travelled to Canada for the 2015 Canada Wide Science Fair winning Gold in the in my age group.
- In addition I am conducting a field test overseas to further advance my system in hope of creating a commercial version of my EDC system.
Currently a grade 9 student attending Oakridge Secondary School, Waleed is very interested in the advancement of technology and has traveled between continents to field test his system. At the age of 14 Waleed was ranked as the top 10 in his age group awarding him with scholarships to the University of Western. Waleed is always looking for new things to learn about Science, Math or Technology, especially IoT (Internet of Things) which led the development of his grade 8 Science Fair project.
What I enjoy
- I enjoy music, and playing the clarinet.
- I enjoy playing soccer and swimming.
- My favorite movie right now is The Martain; a movie based on the 2011 science fiction novel written by Andy Weir.
- I enjoy browsing Wikipedia learning about current issues from different points of views.
- I enjoy volunteering at my old school especially with their FLL robotics team.
- I enjoy visiting family overseas every once and awhile.
Virtual Tour of Waleed’s Science Fair Projects:
CWSF 2014 – Windsor, Ontario
CWSF 2015 – Fredericton, New Brunswick
Interested in learning more about other amazing S.T.E.M. students and the latest S.T.E.M. news:
Follow us at https://twitter.com/Aidan_Aird